Skill Demonstration Events
These events, held virtually prior to the Virtual Leadership Experience, provide opportunities for members to demonstrate college and career-ready skills in Family and Consumer Sciences and related occupations. This fall, the following Skill Demonstration Events that will be offered include:
- Culinary Food Art (Levels 2, 3)
- Culinary Knife Skills (Levels 2, 3)
- Fashion Sketch (Levels 2, 3)
- FCCLA Creed Speaking and Interpretation (Levels 1, 2)
- Interviewing Skills (Levels, 1, 2, 3)
- Pastry Arts Technical Decorating Skills (Levels 2, 3)
- Speak Out for FCCLA (Levels 1, 2, 3)
- #Teach FCS (Levels 1, 2, 3)
- Technology in Teaching (Levels 1, 2, 3)
- Toys that Teach (Levels 1, 2, 3)
In addition to these prepared Skill Demonstration Events, National FCCLA offers a variety of online Challenge Testing Events. Participation in these events takes place by the completion of an online test based on the content knowledge area. These events include:
- Consumer Math (Levels 1, 2, 3)
- Culinary Math (Levels 2, 3)
- Early Childhood (Levels 1, 2, 3)
- Education and Training (Levels 2, 3)
- Fashion Construction and Design (Levels 2, 3)
- FCCLA Knowledge (Levels 1, 2, 3)
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation (Levels 2, 3)
- Interior Design (Levels 2, 3)
- Nutrition (Levels 1, 2, 3)
- Science in FCS (Levels 1, 2, 3)
October 26, 2020
|Skill Demonstration Event Project/Video Recording/URL Creation for Registration Submission||Your local chapter||Use this time to create projects and prepare for submission|
|October 26, 2020||Skill Demonstration Event Registration Deadline
Video URL Submitted (if required)
|FCCLA Adviser Portal||$10 per person registration fee for Skill Demonstration Events|
|October 27, 2020||Confirmation Emails Sent to all Participants and Advisers||Sent after registration has closed|
|November 2-6, 2020||Skill Demonstration Events – Online Challenge Event Testing||AnswerWrite Testing System||Login information included in confirmation email|
|November 9-13, 2020||Skill Demonstration Event Evaluation||FCCLA State Associations||Evaluation will take place online by state volunteers|
|December 11, 2020||Skill Demonstration Events Awards||Virtual Leadership Experience Platform||Announcement of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers|
STAR Events (Students Taking Action with Recognition) are competitive events in which members are recognized for proficiency and achievement in chapter and individual projects, leadership skills, and career preparation. In Nebraska, 90% of competitors reported that these events were very or extremely useful in preparation for future experiences. See the full report on the impact of Nebraska STAR Events here.
FCCLA STAR Events offer individual skill development and application of learning through the following activities:
- Cooperative: teams work to accomplish specific goals
- Individualized: an individual member works alone to accomplish specific goals
- Competitive: individual or team performance is measured by an established set of criteria
STAR Events promote the FCCLA Mission to focus on the multiple roles of family member, wage earner, and community leader. Each event is designed to help members develop specific lifetime skills in character development, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge, and career preparation.
STAR Events encourage active student participation and recognize accomplishments of youth. The belief that everyone can be successful is the foundation of these events. Cooperation and competition are stressed in positive, constructive ways. Respect and interaction between youth and adults are fostered by establishing teams of adult and youth evaluators and event managers.
- Nebraska FCCLA STAR Events Project Description Form (Is NOT accepting responses yet)
- This form is to be completed by each team or individual by the deadline provided by each district’s STAR Coordinator. Failure to complete this form will result in disqualification at the District competition.
- FCCLA Participant with Accommodations Form
- This form should be completed if a student requires accommodations for competitive events or conference attendance.
- STAR Events and Nebraska Career Readiness Standards Crosswalk
- Informational STAR Event Presentation 2020-21
- STAR Promotional Flyer 2020-21
- 2020-21 Nebraska STAR Events Handbook
- STAR Events Cheat Sheet – Helpful for 1st time STAR participants!
- 2018-2019 Nebraska STAR Event Information Report